Once there was a reader named Martha who hosted an author event.
- Martha opened her home (but not her heart) to her guest.
- Martha was distracted.
- Martha was worried.
- Martha had to to make preparations.
- Martha petitioned others for help—her family (perhaps friends) .
- Martha grew upset with others—her family (perhaps friends) due to their lack of help.
- Martha questioned (doubted) her guest, Jesus, regarding his heart, compassion, and concern for her.
- Martha commanded Jesus to act.
- Martha pitied herself.
- Martha praised herself.
- Martha participated in many activities.
Martha’s sister Mary joined the others as they gathered around the guest of honor, the Author of all things.
- Mary sat at Jesus’ feet.
- Mary listened to Jesus’ words.
- Mary chose the best: time with Jesus.
When we choose Jesus, no one can take him from us (John 10:28).
When we choose anything other than Jesus, those things we select will distract us from him. So much so, that often we miss the best and only thing we need for task at hand.
If you find that your efforts produce little and leave you tired, worried, upset, distracted, filled with self-pity, pride, and on the outs with others, take a break and sit with Jesus. Listen to his words. Rest in him.
Words matter. The Word matters most of all. Get into the Word. Then ask him to bless the works and words of your hands.